Whether you’re maintaining a residential or commercial property, one of the most taxing events you have to deal with is water damage. Unfortunately, many homeowners and business owners aren’t quite sure how to handle these unfortunate events.
Water damage is more than just burst pipes and flooded basements — in some cases, without property treatment, it can also ruin your property’s foundation and even encourage mold growth. With that being said, once you notice any water issues, it’s best to take the right steps immediately.
Some people are quick on their feet and call water damage restoration services, like Restoration Masters, right away. With their help, their experts can minimize the damage and ensure that the whole area is fixed and replaced, eliminating any room for molds to breed and other things to get damaged.
Understandably, dealing with water damage can be quite overwhelming; however, it is quite manageable even with the least amount of experience. In this article, we’ll share the dos and don’ts of handling unexpected water damage with you. Let’s dive into it!
What You Should Do
- Stop the Flow of Water Immediately: When you’re dealing with water damage, the first thing you have to do after seeing your space flooded is to stop the flow of water as soon as possible. This is because gallons of water can rush into space in a small amount of time, making you deal with more damage. But if the water is coming from outside your establishment, try your best to stop the water flow with boards or sacks.
- Turn Off Your Property’s Power: One of the most dangerous things you have to deal with when it comes to water damage is electrical hazards. FOr this reason, you must turn off your power immediately after stopping water flow. This is crucial as it eliminates electrocution for you and other people on the premises.
- Call Water Damage Restoration Services: After doing the previous steps, ensure that you call professionals to deal with the situation right away. Managing water damage isn’t a walk in the park, and there are many things you need to consider. With the help of professionals, they can ensure that the proper steps and protocols are followed to ensure the safety of everyone on the property.
What You Shouldn’t Do
- Attempt to Do Things On Your Own: Even if your water damage doesn’t look severe on the surface, it’s still important to leave this issue in the hands of professionals. This is important because you must thoroughly inspect the space to ensure they find the source and issue and have it replaced and repaired right away. Besides that, professionals will know how to safely deal with contaminated water and electrical systems, ensuring your safety.
- Underestimating the Severity of the Damage: Unfortunately, some people think that if the damage is minimal, there isn’t anything you should worry about. Sadly, these tiny problems will eventually lead to bigger damage, making you have to deal with extreme water issues in the future. So if you start seeing leaks and tiny puddles, call the pros right away.
The Bottom Line: It’s Important to Deal With Water Damage Right Away
No matter the severity of the water damage, it’s important that you call water damage restoration services right away. This way, you’ll get to find the source of the issue, have it repaired and replaced, and go on living a safer life knowing that your water system is in check and your space is clear from damage and hazards.
How Can We Help You?
If you’re looking for water damage restoration services, look no further. Restoration Masters is an independent, locally-owned, and operated company that provides full-service restoration services for residential and commercial buildings.
Besides water damage restoration, we also provide damage clean-up, reconstruction, mold remediation, and more. Learn more about our services and call us at 877 246 2951 today!