3 Reasons Why You Should Never Remove Mold on Your Own

Mold is a common concern for many homeowners, as it feeds on wood and other building materials and causes them to deteriorate. It does not only affect the appearance of your home but can also cause health problems.

Since mold can be dangerous for your household, you may feel the urge to do something about it yourself. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it is safe to remove a mold patch that’s less than 10 square feet in size using bleach, detergent, and water. However, larger areas are best left to professionals with the knowledge and training to safely deal with them.

There are a lot of DIY videos out there claiming to teach homeowners how to remove mold. However, most of these are misleading, dangerous, and irresponsible. Let us discuss three reasons why you should never attempt to remove mold on your own.

You Are Not an Expert

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are over 10,000 species of mold, and many of them look alike. You are putting yourself in harm’s way unknowingly when you carelessly listen to YouTube videos that claim to know which molds are dangerous and which are not. 

While some are relatively harmless, many strains cause severe respiratory issues, even in small amounts. Employing a professional mold remediation service will ensure that the mold situation in your home is correctly assessed and addressed. 

You Can Spread Mold

Mold reproduces and releases spores, which are invisible to the eye and are spread in the air. If you attempt DIY mold removal, you will almost certainly disturb these spores and cause two things: the spores will just return, thereby wasting your time and effort, or they will travel around your house and lead to a bigger problem of mold growing in new areas. 

With professional mold removal experts, you can be assured that safety measures are taken so that the spores are contained. Mold remediation companies do not only clean up the mold in your home, but they also remove affected areas of porous materials and use industry-standard biocides on non-porous surfaces to prevent mold from returning. 

You Can’t Find All the Mold

While you can remove visible mold from your walls and ceiling, that is likely not the full extent of the infestation. There is likely a lot of hidden mold in your house that can still create issues for you. For this reason, you should leave your mold treatment to professionals who can find and remove all the mold from your home. 

Conclusion 

Considering how dangerous mold can be to your health, you need to take mold remediation seriously. Hiring experts is vital since they know where to look, what to look for, and how to solve your problems safely and correctly. 

We understand how tempting it may be to handle mold removal by yourself. However, you should leave this process to the trusted hands of experts if you do not want to risk the health or safety of your family.

For a wide range of mold remediation services in Torrance, CA, and other property damage restoration services, contact us at Restoration Masters. We are an independent, locally owned and operated company serving Los Angeles, Orange County, and the surrounding areas with full-service restoration for residential and commercial buildings. Contact our experts today!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>